The reserve is bounded to the south by the industrial suburb of Rosebank Peninsula and to the east by residential Waterview.
There is access to the inner parts of the reserve around Traherne Island on the southern side of the motorway.
This area can be explored at mid-high tide or from a few shoreline points (arrowed on the map) where side roads from Great North Road lead to esplanade reserves, with dinghy access at Walker Rd.
There are good views from the Northwestern Motorway (Te Atatu exit). Stopping on the motorway is not permitted.
Know before you go
- The taking or killing of fish, crustaceans (eg. crabs, shrimps prawns), shell-fish (eg. snails, mussels, oysters, and clams such as cockles and pipis), seaweed or any other marine life within the marine reserve is a legal offence under the Marine Reserves Act.
- Boats, including jet skis, must not exceed five knots within 200 m of land (including shell banks) within the marine reserve area.
- Dogs are not allowed in the marine reserve area because they endanger rare birds.
- Do not disturb wildlife. This is their home.
Non-compliance with these conditions may result in prosecution.
Fishing is prohibited
View larger map of reserve boundaries (PDF, 55K)
Fishing of any kind is an offence in this marine reserve, as is the taking or disturbing of any marine life, including shellfish and seaweeds. It is also an offence to take any part of the seafloor. This includes taking home any shells or rocks you may have collected from the beach.
Help us stop offenders
Marine reserves are managed by the DOC. Surveillance and enforcement is carried out by DOC rangers.
The success of the reserve depends on caring and vigilant visitors. If you see people taking fish or other marine life within the marine reserve, report this or any other offence to the DOC consevation emergency hotline 0800 DOC HOT (0800 362 468).
Boundary GPS points (WGS 84)
- 36 51 34.9972 S, 174 39 30.7791 E
- 36 51 05.4908 S, 174 39 49.7934 E
- 36 51 05.5138 S, 174 40 18.0521 E
- 36 52 17.9121 S, 174 41 31.8604 E
- 36 52 19.3827 S, 174 41 49.9898 E
- 36 52 21.3295 S, 174 41 50.5534 E
Use the WSG84 coordinates and map provided to ensure you do not fish within the boundaries of Motu Manawa-Pollen Island Marine Reserve.